Coping With The Holidays
Hotlines and Crisis Numbers
- National Hopeline Number: 1-800-SUI-CIDE (784-2433)
- Long Island Crisis Center : 516-679-1111
- The Samaritans of NY Suicide Prevention Hotline: 212-673-3000
- Covenant House National Nineline Hotlines (General crisis hotline):1-800-999-9999
- Response of Suffolk County (for any crisis): 631-751-7500
- Poison Control, Nassau County: 516-542-2323
Loss Organizations and Grief Website
- Alive Alone ( www.alivealone.org )
- Bereaved Parents of the USA ( www.bereavedparentsusa.org )
- Center for Loss and Renewal ( www.lossandrenewal.com )
- Center for Loss in Multiple Birth (CLIMB), Inc. ( www.climb-support.org )
- Centering Corporation ( www.centeringcorp.com )
- Compassionate Friends ( www.compassionatefriends.org )
- First Candle ( www.firstcandle.org )
- Grief Haven (www.griefhaven.org)
- Griefnet.org ( www.griefnet.org )
- Grief Loss Recovery ( http://grieflossrecovery.com/cms/ )
- Grieving Child Organization ( www.grievingchildren.org)
- Miss Foundation (http://missfoundation.org)
- The National Center for Grieving Children and Families ( www.dougy.org)
- Open to Hope (www.opentohope.com)
- Parents of Murdered Children ( www.pomc.com )
- ShareGrief.com ( www.sharegrief.com )
- Good Grief ( www.good-grief.org )
- Survivors of Suicide ( www.survivorsofsuicide.com )
- The Grief Tool Box (www.thegrieftoolbox.com)
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors ( www.taps.org )
- Twinless Twins ( www.twinlesstwins.org )
- A Heartbreaking Choice (www.aheartbreakingchoice.com)
Other Long Island Support Groups
- The Brook House: Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Hospice www.brookhavenhospital.org
This hospice based in Patchogue, Long Island offers bereavement groups for adults and children in Suffolk County only, including young widows/widowers, adults grieving loss of parents or grandparents, survivors of suicide and others. No fee.
- Calvary Hospital/Hospice
Offers sibling bereavement support groups on Wednesday evenings at Calvary Hospital in the Bronx. Anyone interested must call and schedule an intake sesssion before registering. Please contact Kristen Finneran, MS, at 718-518-2270 or firstname.lastname@example.org. No fee. Also offers young spouse group, teen bereavement group, a men’s group, and a group for parents whose adult child has died (Mondays, 11am-12:30 pm in the Bronx).
- The Compassionate Friends – Long Island Chapters www.compassionatefriends.org
This national organization has local chapters with meetings in the following Long Island towns: Babylon, East Quogue, Manhasset, Medford, Rockville Centre, and Syosset. For additional information about Compassionate Friends, contact the National Office or phone 630-990-0010 or (toll-free) 877-969-0010.
- East End Hospice www.eeh.org
This hospice based in West Hampton Beach offers bereavement counseling for children, for men, for families and loved ones of AIDS patients. Groups are primarily for adults, not specific on loss. 12 weeks of focused support with goals set. Bereavement care programs are offered to church groups, therapists, and other civic organizations. In addition, run bereavement camp for children of all ages on Shelter Island.
- Good Shepherd Hospice http://goodshepherdhospice.chsli.org
This hospice offers ongoing (weekly) groups for adults – loss of spouse, parent and general loss – at Mercy Hospital (Wed. evenings) and at their center in Port Jefferson (Wed. afternoons). Individual and family counseling available in both Melville and Port Jefferson. Call 631-465-6300 for more information.
- Guardian Angels Perinatal Support http://www.stkilian.com/gaps
Holds support group meetings for those suffering from perinatal (pregnancy and infant) loss in Farmingdale, NY on the first Friday of the month. Also offers telephone support at (516) 249-8589.
- Hospice Care Network www.hospicecarenetwork.org
The Hospice Care Network offers bereavement programs (8 weeks) for adults and children ages 4-18. Programs are free and open to the community. Pre-registration required.
- Joe’s Project – support group in Suffolk Co. for survivors of suicide Family Service League New suicide response program offered by the Family Service League with funding from the Suffolk Co. Legislature. Call 1-888-375-2228 for more information.
- The Neighborhood House (TNH) of Sayville, Founder and CEO is Michelle Virga. 631-589-0055. Email: email@example.com. Website: Tnh-hope.org Support groups for children and adults grieving the loss of a family member or loved one with special groups designated for those grieving death by suicide or overdose, loss of partner, and parental loss of a child. Community Awareness workshops on suicide prevention and response, drug and alcohol awareness, social media issues and guidelines for parents, as well as general information about normal grieving.
- Center for Hope at The Cohen’s Children’s Medical Center of NY offers individual and groups counseling for parents who have lost a child, individual and group counseling for children, and family crisis intervention. For more information, call Susan Thomas, LCSW, Bereavement Coordinator, at 718/516-470-3123. (http://ccmc.northshorelij.com/ccmcny-for-patients-and-families/ccmcny-bereavement-the-center-for-hope)
- VNS Hospice of Suffolk ( www.visitingnurseservice.org)Serves Huntington township to Brookhaven township. Offers bereavement groups for parents and children. Offer children groups for ages 5-12, teenage groups (if there are enough teenagers). Adult bereavement groups geared toward hospice families, but if room, do accept outside members.
For a complete list of bereavement groups on Long Island, please visit http://www.holyroodcemetery.org/ and click on “Bereavement.” The listing for “Support Groups Available Now” is frequently updated.
Peri-Natal Loss Support on Long Island
- Hospice Care Network of Woodbury & Bay Shore, NY – offers individual counseling for peri-natal loss. Contact: (516) 832-7100.
- Little Angel Fund, Jenny & Joseph Tanfaglia, Selden, NY.Offers support to parents of seriously ill or premature infants in NeoNatal Intensive Care Unit. Offers help and support to bereaved parents.Contact: (631) 736-2512 or www.littleangelfund.org.
- North Shore University Hospital, 300 Community Drive, Manhasset, NY, Perinatal Support(miscarriage, stillbirth and infant death), offers 8-10 weeks support groups Contact: Nancy Berlow. LCSW (516) 562-8422
- Pregnancy & Infant Loss and Infertility Support– Hicksville, NY: Private counseling and support groups.Contact: (516) 356-7109. http://longislandpregnancyandinfantloss.com. Nancy Berlow. (Usually refers out to groups).
- St. Killian Parish, Farmingdale, NY, 485 Conklin St. (aka NY 24), Guardian Angel Perinatal Support Group, (support for miscarriage, stillbirth and infant death), meets 1st Friday of every month, 7:30 pm, Parish Center in Church Basement Contact: Martha Weiss (516) 249-8589 (24 hour answering machine); firstname.lastname@example.org
- St Mary Parish, East Islip,NY, 20 Harrison Ave., General Bereavement(all losses) and Perinatal Loss(miscarriage, stillbirth and infant death) Aftercare Program, Young widows Group and Rainbows program Contact: Eileen Bowden (631) 581-1012 or Sister Patricia Tippen (631) 581-4266 Ext 134
- Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, NY – 259 First St. Winthrop Bereavement Services
Loss of an Unborn Child:
- Grief Watch – Perinatal Loss: www.griefwatch.com
- Healing Hearts: Baby Loss Comfort
- High Five Max: highfivemax
- Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support: www.nationalshare.org
- Faith’s Lodge-Grief Retreat: www.faithslodge.org
- Infants Remembered in Silence IRIS: www.irisremembers.com
- Carrie Bears – “When it’s hard to let go, it helps to have something to hold onto”: www.carriebears.com
Find a Therapist:
- Psychology Today: Find A Therapist
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies: 212-647-1890 (www.abct.org )
- American Psychiatric Association: 888-357-7924 ( www.psych.org )
- American Psychologist Association: 800-964-2000 ( www.APA.org )
- New York State Psychological Association: 800-445-0899 (www.NYSPA.org )
- National Association of Social Workers (NY branch): 212-668-0050 (www.naswnyc.org)
- Suffolk County Psychologists: (suffolkpsych.org)