Coping With The Holidays
Hotlines and Crisis Numbers
- National Hopeline Number: 1-800-SUI-CIDE (784-2433)
- Long Island Crisis Center : 516-679-1111
- The Samaritans of NY Suicide Prevention Hotline: 212-673-3000
- Covenant House National Nineline Hotlines (General crisis hotline):1-800-999-9999
- Response of Suffolk County (for any crisis): 631-751-7500
- Poison Control, Nassau County: 516-542-2323
Loss Organizations and Grief Website
- Alive Alone ( www.alivealone.org )
- Bereaved Parents of the USA ( www.bereavedparentsusa.org )
- Center for Loss and Renewal ( www.lossandrenewal.com )
- Center for Loss in Multiple Birth (CLIMB), Inc. ( www.climb-support.org )
- Centering Corporation ( www.centeringcorp.com )
- Compassionate Friends ( www.compassionatefriends.org )
- Eluna Resource Center (https://elunanetwork.org/resources/)
- Evermore (www.live-evermore.org)
- Faith’s Lodge (faithslodge.org)
- First Candle ( www.firstcandle.org)
- Grief Haven (www.griefhaven.org)
- Griefnet.org ( www.griefnet.org )
- Grief Loss Recovery ( https://grieflossrecovery.com/cms/ )
- Grieving Child Organization ( www.grievingchildren.org)
- Miss Foundation (https://missfoundation.org)
- The National Center for Grieving Children and Families ( www.dougy.org)
- Open to Hope (www.opentohope.com)
- Parents of Murdered Children ( www.pomc.com )
- Pregnancy Loss Support Program: (www.pregnancyloss.org)
- ShareGrief.com ( www.sharegrief.com )
- Good Grief ( www.good-grief.org )
- Survivors of Suicide ( www.survivorsofsuicide.com )
- The Grief Tool Box (www.thegrieftoolbox.com)
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors ( www.taps.org )
- Twinless Twins ( www.twinlesstwins.org )
- A Heartbreaking Choice (www.aheartbreakingchoice.com)
Other Long Island Support Groups
- The Brook House: Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Hospice www.brookhavenhospital.org
This hospice based in Patchogue, Long Island offers bereavement groups for adults and children in Suffolk County only, including young widows/widowers, adults grieving loss of parents or grandparents, survivors of suicide and others. No fee.
- Calvary Hospital/Hospice
Offers sibling bereavement support groups on Wednesday evenings at Calvary Hospital in the Bronx. Anyone interested must call and schedule an intake sesssion before registering. Please contact Kristen Finneran, MS, at 718-518-2270 or email@example.com. No fee. Also offers young spouse group, teen bereavement group, a men’s group, and a group for parents whose adult child has died (Mondays, 11am-12:30 pm in the Bronx).
- The Compassionate Friends – Long Island Chapters www.compassionatefriends.org
This national organization has local chapters with meetings in the following Long Island towns: Babylon, East Quogue, Manhasset, Medford, Rockville Centre, and Syosset. For additional information about Compassionate Friends, contact the National Office or phone 630-990-0010 or (toll-free) 877-969-0010.
- East End Hospice www.eeh.org
This hospice based in West Hampton Beach offers bereavement counseling for children, for men, for families and loved ones of AIDS patients. Groups are primarily for adults, not specific on loss. 12 weeks of focused support with goals set. Bereavement care programs are offered to church groups, therapists, and other civic organizations. In addition, run bereavement camp for children of all ages on Shelter Island.
- Good Shepherd Hospice https://goodshepherdhospice.chsli.org
This hospice offers ongoing (weekly) groups for adults – loss of spouse, parent and general loss – at Mercy Hospital (Wed. evenings) and at their center in Port Jefferson (Wed. afternoons). Individual and family counseling available in both Melville and Port Jefferson. Call 631-465-6300 for more information.
- Guardian Angels Perinatal Support https://www.stkilian.com/gaps
Holds support group meetings for those suffering from perinatal (pregnancy and infant) loss in Farmingdale, NY on the first Friday of the month. Also offers telephone support at (516) 249-8589.
- Hospice Care Network www.hospicecarenetwork.org
The Hospice Care Network offers bereavement programs (8 weeks) for adults and children ages 4-18. Programs are free and open to the community. Pre-registration required.
- Joe’s Project – support group in Suffolk Co. for survivors of suicide Family Service League New suicide response program offered by the Family Service League with funding from the Suffolk Co. Legislature. Call 1-888-375-2228 for more information.
- The Neighborhood House (TNH) of Sayville, Founder and CEO is Michelle Virga. 631-589-0055. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rehabspot.com-website is designed to not only assist individuals who are struggling with an addiction, but also their loved ones in providing tips on how to go about helping a loved one in need. There is a specific section dedicated to grief and substance abuse. www.Rehabspot.com/Grief
- The Mindful Place offers Long Island mindfulness meditation and stress reduction (MBSR) courses, events, seminars, guided meditations, and more. https://themindfulplace.net/