Massage and Healing Touch
A holistic form of treatment that can have a profound effect on the mind, body and emotions. Massage aids digestion, stimulates the lymphatic system and improves circulation and, combined with the psychological benefits, quickly brings about a feeling of overall well-being.
Massage therapy can be a powerful component of grief therapy. In increasing circulation, massage flushes away stress hormones and increases the flow of endorphins, natural mood elevators. In a massage session, you can let go and enjoy a much-needed sense of peace and nurturing. Massage sometimes prompts tears and the expression of sadness. This is a natural, normal emotional response to nurturing touch.
Researchers are finding that massage can supplement standard medicine in treating a broad range of conditions including chronic pain in the back, neck and shoulders; tension headache; hypertension; sleep problems, arthritis, and depression. Many patients report that they feel more relaxed and less stressed after receiving a massage. Some say that they return to work more focused, energized and better able to solve problems.
Physical Benefits of Massage Therapy:
- Provides deep relaxation and stress reduction
- Relieves muscle tension and stiffness
- Reduces muscle spasms
- Provides greater joint flexibility and range of motion
- Enhances athletic performance
- Increases ease and efficiency of movement
- Improves posture
- Supports the immune system
Mental Benefits of Massage Therapy:
- Promotes a relaxed state of alertness
- Reduces mental stress
- Enhances capacity for calm thinking and creativity
Emotional Benefits of Massage Therapy:
- Satisfies the need for caring and nurturing touch
- Creates a feeling of well-being
- Enhances self-image
- Reduces levels of anxiety
- Increases awareness of the mind-body connection
For more information, please visit the website of the American Massage Therapy Association at https://www.amtamassage.org/.